Northumberland Players brings the best in musicals, comedies and drama to theatre lovers in Northumberland County. The community theatre company has grown over the past 44 years from a small group of dedicated volunteers staging musicals in high school gymnasia to over 300 enthusiastic volunteers .
Northumberland Players in the past few years alone have won 24 awards at theatre festivals across Ontario including Best Production in Eastern Ontario, and Best Production in Ontario.
With the largest costume house in the region and talented actors and crews, you will experience high quality, affordable productions in four different venues within a short convenient drive. No high ticket prices, no traffic jams!
We present nine productions in four different venues over the course of a year. Look for stories about our recent productions under Our Season.
Northumberland Players Serves Northumberland County on Both Sides of the Curtain
To offer the community opportunities to engage in all aspects of quality theatre.
We strive to be the region’s best, most progressive and engaging community theatre organization, supporting a diverse, active membership and volunteer base.
What we do
Bring quality theatre to our community
- Northumberland Players presently offers ten productions in four venues: three dinner theatre productions, a family production including school performances, a major musical presentation each winter, and five productions in the intimate Firehall Theatre.
Provide opportunities to perform and participate in all aspects of amateur community theatre
- Last year, there were over 300 individual, enthusiastic un-paid volunteers, working as actors, directors, producers, set builders, costume makers, etc. on our 9 shows. Many of those worked on several shows during the season. Other volunteers work regularly in the office and at the Costume House. The passion for producing live theatre is alive in Northumberland!
Northumberland Players is community theatre that supports our community.
We strive to use local businesses, professionals, and trades to provide the goods and services required for our productions. We support the Buy Local Northumberland campaign.
Proceeds from our productions go to:
- Pay the costs of mounting our productions
- Maintain the Firehall Theatre
- Support the Northumberland Players Youth Theatre
- Support workshops in theatre performance and theatre production.
- Provide financial help in the form of donations to worthy causes in our arts community. Over the years, Northumberland Players helped Victoria Hall, Cobourg, and The Capitol Theatre, Port Hope, with major renovations.
Northumberland Players awards scholarships each year to students heading to post-secondary education. Theses awards are funded entirely by the 50/50 draw held at the dinner theatre at the Best Western Cobourg Inn & Convention Centre
Where To Find Us
Home for Northumberland Players is the historic Second St. Firehall Theatre, behind Victoria Hall in Cobourg. The ground floor of the historic building protected under the Ontario Heritage Trust has been transformed into the Firehall Founders’ Theatre. There is comfortable theatre seating for up to 55 and wheelchair accessibility. The building also houses the Players’ administrative office and rehearsal spaces.
Northumberland Players also leases the Third Space, on Loveshin Road, Cobourg, a workshop for set storage and construction. Cobourg Costumes, located at 450 Campbell Street, Unit 4, Cobourg, is the home to the Players’ vast collection of period and contemporary costumes.
Bold, expressive, soulful and creative! Northumberland Players Youth Theatre strives to empower youth of all ages and abilities on stage and in life through the performing arts.
At Summer Theatre Camp, March Break Camp, and at workshops, children develop theatre skills, a sense of community and of self through drama.
Youth perform in many of our productions. Student productions like How to eat Like a Child provide opportunities to build confidence in front of school and family audiences. Thousands of audience members have attended our youth shows in the last few years.
Youth roles in other shows, like recent productions of Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor® Dreamcoat and Romeo and Juliet, provide young people with opportunities to work alongside adult actors in front of larger adult audiences.
We always look forward to seeing many young faces gaining valuable experience in the theatre.